Saturday 22 June 2019

First.





The end of my first week of working life.

Well another 27 more weeks until probation ends. I don't really mind the title though. What I do concern about is the opportunity to grow, and my own WILLINGNESS to learn. I am happy with my decision to join the company thus far.

And I read <When Breath Becomes Air> by Paul Kalanithi. There is one paragraph that really touches my heart.

"In the end, it cannot be doubted that each of us can see only a part of the picture. The doctor sees one, the patient another, the engineer a third, the economist a fourth, the pearl diver a fifth, the alcoholic a sixth, the cable guy a seventh, the sheep farmer an eighth, the Indian beggar a ninth, the pastor a tenth. Human knowledge is never contained in one person. It grows from the relationships we create between each other and the world, and still it is never complete."


Learning, in essence, is to conquer the fear of accepting something new and challenging.

I can never finish learning. I told myself. For so long I have wanted to work in this industry, but I doubted my ability, and I wondered if this wastes all my effort of becoming a high achiever in Biomedical Science. Shouldn't I be in labs? Shouldn't I be in hospitals?

But in the end, my dad helped me to realise that, no, my degree WILL NEVER be wasted just like this. Degree is my stepping stone, and whatever achievements I acquired in my undergraduate days will be my power and fuel to go higher and further. I have reaped what I sowed before, and now it's time to make use of the produces.

There is so much more that I wanted to see besides career, though this job has almost taken up all of my time. Gaining new experiences, embracing the wonders. Languages, journal doodles and arts, sports, nature, photography, cooking and baking, psychology and inner peace. It may be tough at first to start something new, but slowly your persistence will get you through and the fog that envelope the whole new world will eventually be blown away. To my parents, I have always been more than grateful. They often encourage me to take up something new, to try, to read, to write, to draw, to take up a responsibility in school, to volunteer, to travel, to go to a chocolate making workshop, to go all the way out until I am off my comfort zone.

Yes. It's absolutely worthwhile sailing the ship amidst the ocean of unknown.

The ocean of knowledge. The ocean of unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment